Founder of Celebration of Birth, Anna Watts, is affectionately known as the ‘Wise Woman of Doulas’ or ‘Mama Doula’, she has been guiding women and their partners through the journey of pregnancy and birth for over 30 years. Anna believes in honouring and celebrating birth as a ‘rite of passage’ for mother, father and baby, supporting empowered birthing choices and strengthening the spiritual connection in pregnancy and birth.
Anna’s experience as a Childbirth Educator, Doula Trainer, Pre-natal Yoga Teacher, Spiritual Healer, Counsellor and mother of two beautiful daughters both born at home – one a water birth – brings a depth and grounded warmth to her teaching.
In 2009 Anna established the Celebration of Birth Doula Academy offering professional training to Birth and Post-natal Doulas. She has an on-going commitment to personal growth and spiritual development in all aspects of life.
Co-Author of ‘Birthing the Spirit’ – Guide to Conscious Conception, Pregnancy and Birth – a beautiful set of cards with guidebook offering inspiration and guidance to support the spiritual connection at this transformative time. Many birth practitioners, pre-natal yoga teachers and doulas use this valuable tool in their work.
Anna is a passionate traveller and has spent time teaching, learning and assisting in birth communities around the world, including the FreMo Birth Centre, Nairobi, Kenya; Da-a-Luz Midwifery School, Andalucia, Spain; Midwife & Doula Community, Queretaro, Mexico. Sharing women’s wisdom with a diverse range of birth professionals has greatly enahanced Anna’s birthing knowledge and the way she passes on holistic skills to both pregnant women and doulas alike.
Anna’s qualifications include:
- Diploma in Childbirth Education & Birth Support/Doula (Birthing Rites Australia 1992)
- Doula Trainer facilitating professional doula training since 2009
- Birth Art Mentor – Birthing From Within 2020
- Diploma in Counselling
- Cert.IV in Training and Assessment – Doula Trainer & Mentor
- Diploma of Yoga Teaching (specialising in Pre-natal Yoga)
- Guest Teacher – Bliss Baby Yoga (Pre-natal & Women’s Yoga Teacher Trainings)
- Author – ‘Birthing the Spirit’ Cards and Relaxation for Pregnancy & Birth Yoga Nidra CD/Download
- Childbirth Education Class Facilitator for more than 30 years
- Women’s Circle & Rites of Passage Facilitator since 1992
Doula Conference Australia 2020 – Presentation ‘The Art of Being More by Doing Less‘
Doula Conference Australia 2019 – Workshop ‘Chakra Birthing Wisdom’ & member of Conference Committee
Doula Conference Australia 2018 – Panel Member ‘Doulas Avoiding Burnout’
Anna has bee a guest on the following Pregnancy Birth & Beyond Media Podcasts, click link to listen